The Q&A Archives: Impact Flowers

Question: I have a great blend of tulips, iris, jonquils for early spring spring and early summer blooms. I also have some georgeous red cannas that bloom all summer as well as miniature red roses. I would like some suggestions on what to add to my collection that would add emphasis and create a constant profusion of color. Or I would like some suggestions on how to arrange these flowers for an "impact" constant bloom garden. I have unlimited space (7 acres) I just need some suggestions. Thank you. Kathleen Guthrie,OK

Answer: It all depends on your likes! If you like perennial flowers then try coneflowers, bee balm, hibiscus and many others. Check a local nursery for ideas. For bulbs try dahlias, tuberous begonias, and gladiolus. More roses would be nice, especially the hybrid teas and floribundas that bloom all eason long. Just remember the more you plant, the more there is to take care of.