The Q&A Archives: Saving Corn Seed

Question: Can I dry out some of my corn on the cob, to replant next spring? If so, how?

Answer: You can save corn seed to replant, but it's not usually advised. If the corn you grew was one of the hybrids, it became cross-pollinated during the season, and if seeds are replanted, will produce something different than originally planted.

For healthy productive corn plants next year, purchase fresh seeds to plant in the spring. If you want to try saving seeds, just for fun, allow the corn kernels to dry on the cob. Once completely dry they should be easily rubbed off without damage to the "germ" at the bottom of the kernel. When you're sure they're absolutely dry, store in an airtight container in a cool, dark location.