The Q&A Archives: Reasons for Stunted Tomato Growth

Question: I recently transplanted my pink tomato plants into my garden. I started these plants from seeds. The plant only stands about four inches tall but I thought it was a good time to transplant. They do not seem to be growing at all. They do not have any new leaves at all. Are pink tomatoes that much more sensitive than red? Was it too early to transplant? Do you know of anywhere that I can purchase pink tomato plants? They are a favorite in my home. Cheryl Thomas Holloman AFB, NM

Answer: I think you're pushing the tomato growing season by planting so soon. Tomatoes like warm soil and air temperatures to grow and are frost sensitive. You might want to cover the plants with a floating row cover (AKA Reemay) to get them through the cool nights until May when the days and nights stay warmer. Your last expected frost date is early May, but as long as you don't have frost, they probably will be okay. Just don't expect a lot from them until it gets warm.