The Q&A Archives: Gynura

Question: I was given a Gynura as a gift because of the unique color on the underside of the leaves. The problem is that no instructions were with it. Could you please help me with information on how to care for it.

Answer: Purple Velvet Plant, or Gynura, is a houseplant. There are two types of Velvet Plant, Gynura sarmentosa is the trailing type and Gynura aurantiaca is upright. Both have leaves covered with purple hairs.

Exposure to full sun or high light causes formation of the
maximum amount of purple hairs. Keep the soil evenly
moist and fertilize weekly with a dilute (half-strength) solution of any liquid houseplant fertilizer. Ideal temperatures are 60 degrees at nightand 65 to 70 degrees during the day. Young plants are pinched to keep them compact. The tips of long branches may be cut off and stuck in the soil. These will root and thicken in the plant.

Enjoy your new plant!