The Q&A Archives: Frankincense

Question: I have seen the post on Myrrh and was not aware it was available in the US. I would also like to ask for any info on a tree called Frankincense. I will appreciate any info you could provide especially growing habits, botanical name, and where I could attain these two plants. I realize these plants might be difficult in my area but seeds or maybe small cuttings might allow me to grow these trees indoors (bonsai). Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Answer: The frankincense pine is Pinus taeda, also commonly called Loblolly pine. Hardy to zone 7, it's one of the leading commercial timber species in the U.S., and grows from southern New Jersey to Florida, plus eastern Texas and Oklahoma. The tree can reach 100' and is adaptable to extremes of soil, temperature and moisture.

Seeds for Pinus taeda and Myrrh are available from Cyberseeds' International supplier. Contact Cyberseeds at PO Box 171102, San Antonio, TX 78217-1102.