The Q&A Archives: Tips for Planting Poppies

Question: I've got a friend in Northern Michigan who I gave some poppy seeds to. When should he plant, what type of soil composition is preferred and what type and amount of fertilization will be neccessary? Hope this isn't too much, my friend is kind of skeptical about the success in his neck of the woods! John Olson Boulder, CO

Answer: If you gave your friend annual poppy is best to sow where you wish them to grow because they dislike root disturbance. They can be sown in zones 3-7 in early spring, when soil is cool and a light frost is still possible, or late autumn. Just cover the seeds lightly. They will germinate in 20 days. If you gave him perennial seeds....then the zone of hardiness varies. The method of sowing is the same. Germination will occur in 10-30 days at 55 degrees F. (They obviously like cool temperatures!)