The Q&A Archives: Pruning A Cheese Plant

Question: I've got a cheese plant, it's getting alittle unruly and I'd like to prune it back down. My question is how ?

Answer: Monstera deliciosa is the Swiss Cheese Plant, so named because of the deeply cut and perforated leaves it develops. Monstera can reach 20' in height and needs support to keep it upright. It also produces aerial roots which should be poked into the soil when they grow long enough to reach. When the plant becomes too tall you can remove the tip in the summertime, at a point just below an aerial root. Plant the cutting and the severed parent will continue to grow, giving you two plants instead of one.

Pot the top up in moistened growing medium and the attached root will take over the chores of supplying nutrients and water to the cutting. The old plant will develop a new shoot at the point where it has been cut.