The Q&A Archives: Flowers to Grow for a Late July Wedding

Question: What flowers and plants can I grow in my area that will be at their peak bloom the last week of July-1st week of August? My fiancee and I are being married at home that weekend and would like to plant our garden to be at its peak at that time. We live in Golden, CO just west of Denver, right at the foothills approximately 5,300 ft elevation. Mark Walker Golden, CO

Answer: I suggest that you plant annuals. They bloom all season long with a little help and will probably give a you a nice show when you need it. Remove the spent blossoms. This encourages more flowers. I like petunias, zinnias, lavatera, cosmos and marigolds. Water them well and regularly. Fertilize with a time-release fertilizer and work lots of organic matter into your soil. Enjoy! And best wishes on your pending nuptials!