The Q&A Archives: Reliability of "Repeat-Bloom Lilacs" (aka "superba")

Question: I have recently heard about "repeat-bloom lilacs" (aka "superba") which supposedly bloom in the spring and again in the fall. I've never heard of them, but would like to purchase a few. Can you advise me as to whether or not there is such a thing, and if so, would they be suitable for the climate in central NYS?

Answer: Syringa microphylla Superba, a little leaf lilac, is described as blooming in the spring and "often reblooming in September." It is rated zone 4 to 8, so it should do fine in central NYS. The plant is available from Forestfarm ( and Caroll Gardens, ph# 800-638-6334.

Another lilac variety, Syringa tribida 'Josee' is a relatively small shrub--4 to 5' tall--that blooms three or four times a year. It is available from The Great Plant Company ( I didn't see it listed in their online catalog, but it is in their print catalog.

I can't personally vouch for the reblooming aspect, since I haven't tried them.... yet!