The Q&A Archives: Bulbs on a Balcony

Question: I am thinking of planting some blubs in pots on my balcony. I'm on the 12th floor (of 12) and the balcony does have an over hang. I'm thinking of using my 22" round pots. These behemoths were my tomato pots this summer. what types of blubs would work well in this environment. Would there be any reason on to plan pansies on top?

Answer: If your balcony is very sheltered and you can insulate the pots well, then the bulbs may make it. In many cases container grown bulbs simply freeze to death because they do not have the insulating benefit of being down in the ground. (Very often, too, a balcony situations means the cold can be exacerbated by wind.) You might experiment with some less expensive bulbs and see how they do. Pansies planted on top should not cause a problem to the bulbs as long as the soil is a well drained mix -- the bulbs will rot if they are kept constantly wet.