The Q&A Archives: Rock Rose

Question: I bought a bedding plant that the gardener called "rock roses". I would like to know what to do with them to survive the winter. I do not know them by any other name. They are small and look like roses. The stems are light green.

Answer: The common name rock rose usually translates to Helianthemum nummalarium, a low-growing perennial plant with a short bloom period (late spring to early summer). It's used as a groundcover, in a rock garden, or tumbling over a rock wall. Rock rose grows well on dry, sunny slopes and tolerates heat and drought. It thrives in well-draining sandy soils, performing poorly in rich, loamy soils. Prune the plants back after flowering and mulch over the crowns of the plants to provide winter protection.

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"