The Q&A Archives: Merello Cherry tree

Question: I used to pick a very specific type of cherry from a pick-your-own type of farm in Ontario. Back from where I am this type of cherry is very popular. It is actualy sweet and sour and when ripe has a deep burgundy colour(not black).
a couple of years a go this farm cut down all these rare (merello cherry) trees and replaced them with strawberries. Since then I have been looking for this type of cherry tree to plant in my garden.

None of the nursuries that I have checked with knows what is a merello cherry tree.Please let me know if you know of such variety and where and how can I get a tree or at least seeds for this beautiful and delicious cherry tree.

Answer: I wonder if you're looking for the 'Morello' type cherry which is classified as a tart fruit, but reportedly has a sweet-tart flavor. If so, you can order trees from:
Siloam Orchards
7300 3rd Concession
Uxbridge, Ontario
Canada L9P 1R1

Hope you find your tree!