The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Grape Vine

Question: I just bought a house and there is a well pruned, well established grape vine growing in an area shaded by
the house and an avacado tree. This location is obviously not conducive to fruit production and I want to
move it to the northeast corner of the yard. I would appreciate if you could give me some tips on
transplanting as I am not very familiar with these plants.

Answer: Grapes grow best when given full sunshine so your plant is obviously misplaced. Most established plants can be transplanted successfully if you move them while they're dormant. In your growing region, plan to make the move in January or February. Prune the plant back first, then dig carefully to retain as much of the original root mass as possible. After transplanting water well to help the soil fill in between and around the roots and eliminate air pockets. Grapevines are vigorous growers and will make up for lost stems by sprouting new shoots in the early spring.