The Q&A Archives: Drought-Resistant Texan Plants

Question: I live in zone 8 and need hot, dry plants that bloom from March through frost in winter; preferably perennials. I waste lots of money buying plants and need naturalizing plants that can withstand hot Houston summers, but give plenty of color; of course, into blues and yellows. There are alot of butterflies and hummingbirds around; help! Also I need to know correct shrubs to plant around 40' deck for evergreen color; besides azalease. Thanks for your website. Love your catalogs!!! F R Milian Magnolia, TX

Answer: There are many native Texan flowers to grow that would be more drought tolerant. Some to look for are purple coneflower, Indian Blanket, California poppy, Black-eyed Susan, Yarrow, Cornflower and Mexican Hat. Try the following nursery, Wild Seed Farms 1101 Campo Rosa Rd. P.O. Box 308 Eagle Lake, TX 77434 800-848-0078 Some good shrubs would be Osmanthus, Nerium, Gardenia and Allamanda. Contact this nursery for these plants and more, Plumeria People 910 Leander Dr. Leander, TX 78641512-259-0807