The Q&A Archives: Miniature Plants For Indoor Growing

Question: I have a hydroponic grow system in my home to grow veggies throughout the winter. I have tried many types of tomatoes but they all seen to take over my system and crowd out the other herbs and veggies. Are there any miniature varieties that would be successful in this type of system? Maybe plants that don't have too many leaves?

Answer: Tomato plants can be 'determinate' or 'indeterminate' in their growth habits. Those that grow continually throughout the season are the indeterminate types. These plants produce flowers and fruit over a long season. The determinate types grow to a certain size (about 5' high), then produce most of their crop all at once. Some determinate tomatoes include 'Heatwave', 'Super Tasty', and 'Red Satin'. If you've already given these varieties a try and they're still too large, you might want to try growing cherry type tomatoes. 'Gardener's Delight', 'SugarSnack', 'Super Sweet 100' and 'Sungold' are all tasty little gems, and the plants remain small. All of these varieties are available through Burpee's catalog. Order online at, or phone toll-free (800) 888-1447.