The Q&A Archives: Causes for Blistered Peppers

Question: All of my pepper plants get leaves that look "blistered". If I plant the same type of pepper in a container 2 ft away, the plant is healthy and bears fruit, so I think it must be the soil. I have tried everything. All types of peppers, hot, green,yellow, cayenne, react ther same way. In the garden plot, the plants get blistered and the buds fall off, in a container, they are ok. Also, when the "blistered" plants reach a certain height, the blistering seems to stop, but there are no lower leaves to make the plant "bushy" like normal plants. I have used dust, like selvin, and I have never noticed any bugs or insects. What could be my problem? I will only grow peppers in containers this year as I cannot seem to get the problem solved.I have taken leaves to nurseries in the area, and did what they said, but to no avail. Why would my peppers in containers be OK? The containers are only 2 or 3 feet away from the "blistered" peppers. just an other angle that I want to look at. Perhaps you can help. Thank You. Love your catalog and love your products. First Rate. Thanks. Ken Dennis Bethesda, MD

Answer: The only possibility that comes to mind is leaf miners. They small insects tunnel into the leaves of the peppers and create dead areas that might appear like blisters. The best defense is to grow the peppers under a floating row cover such as Reemay, at least until the summer when the heat gets high, then you'll have to remove it. This may help with your problem. I assume you know what leaf miner damage looks like, so if it doesn't fit the bill, the only other idea would be environmental stresssuch as lack of water. I guess you'll have to experiment with different solutions for find the best one.