The Q&A Archives: False Spring Blues

Question: We always get a false spring here in the high desert. It causes my fruit trees to bloom early and the late frost ruins any hope for fruit. How do I combat false spring and get some fruit?

Answer: There really is no way to keep your fruit trees from blooming out of season; they rely upon internal signals for bloom cycles and the process is weather related. One solution might be to plant trees which naturally bloom later in the spring. For instance, you can grow a late-season apple such as 'Spitzenberg' instead of an early-season apple like 'Dorset Golden'.

If your trees are established and you don't want to replace them with later blooming trees, you could employ some frost protection tactics like the wind-generating equipment used by commercial growers.

Wish there were some other solutions to your dilema!