The Q&A Archives: Do Vegetables act as Perennials or Annuals in the Tropics?

Question: We live in Singapore with year-round 27-31 celsius weather, 95% humidity and heavy rain. There's barely any seasonal differences, so we can plant at any time.

My question is: Is a tomato plant grown here going to die after its fruiting? Or without a frost/winter to kill it off, will it continue fruiting/growing? Should I pull up my tomato plants after the major harvest? I need to know so I can start seedlings to ensure a continual supply.

Answer: Annuals are plants whose life cycle (vegetative growth, bloom, seed set) is completed in a single growing season. The plant dies at the end of the cycle and a new generation begins seed germination. Most vegetables are annuals (asparagus is a perennial). Even though you may be able to get your tomato plants to live longer, they'll lose their vigor. You'll have healthier crops and better harvest if you treat them as annuals. (Crop rotation to prevent disease build-up in the soil is another important consideration.) Good luck!