The Q&A Archives: Concrete Backyard

Question: My new for me but old house has a concrete patio which is not in good shape. I'm tempted to rip it out, but it has a slope which is fed by a steeper sloping driveway. Any heavy rains send water gushing over the back retaining wall which is about ten feet tall. I don't see any drains in the yard or driveway, so I am afraid that if I rip out the concrete all my soil will go over the back wall with the next rain. I know I need professional advice, but from what kind of professional?

Answer: In some areas an engineering firm will do grading plans, in other areas a landscape architect would be called in. In some cases, they both work together to come up with a grading plan that is effective and also pleasant to live with and look at daily. Good luck with your new drainage configuration!