The Q&A Archives: Deterring Gophers

Question: How can I rid my garden of gophers? They are eating everything in sight!!! Please help!! Thank you. Tania Chadwick San Jose, CA

Answer: Ahh gophers. The scourge of the West. You can try many different deterrents such as ultrasonic devices such as Gopher-it, that send sounds into the ground they don't like, planting Euphorbia lathyrus (gopher spurge) which the gophers don't like the smell of, dropping some castor oil beans or kitt litter into the holes or flooding out the varmints. Any of these will work temporarily, but the only real way to rid yourself of gophers is to fence them out or trap them out. Make sure the fence is at least 2' below the soil line and curled and run horizontally at least 2-3 feet away from the garden. For a small garden it's a lot of work, but practical. For larger gardens, trapping with a hav-a-hart is the best solution.