The Q&A Archives: Shrimp Plant

Question: I am interested in growing shrimp plant in my area. Need basic information on plant horticulture, sources for plants or seeds, varieties, seasons, etc.

Answer: The shrimp plant is Justicia Brandegeana. It's available through, Logee's Greenhouses 141 North St. Danielson, CT 06239 860-774-8038

Shrimp plants are fairly easy to grow. They like warm days and cool nights, a sunny windowsill and ample water from spring through fall. They don't grow much in the winter and don't need much water; wait until the top of the soil dries out before watering in the winter months.

Shrimp plant can be grown outdoors in zones 8, 9, 10, and 11 as a border plant, in mass plantings, or as a container plant. It prefers part sun with afternoon shade, or filtered shade, and sandy, well-drained, soils but tolerates wet, alkaline, dry, clayey soils. Mature height is 2'-4', with a spread of 3'-6'.