The Q&A Archives: Planting Roses

Question: A friend told me that when planting roses, it's a good idea to find two plants with 3 canes and to plant them in the same hole. He said to make sure that the canes are all facing out so that they form a bowl. Is this true? Or, is it best to only put one plant per hole?

Answer: I'm not sure I understand your friend's reasoning for putting two shrubs in a single planting hole. Perhaps he prefers to see a dense shrub rather than one with only 3-5 canes. The truth of the matter is, roses that are overcrowded will be more susceptible to diseases. Whatever your friend's reasoning, it's best to plant only one rose in each hole. After planting your roses, (one per planting hole) prune back to only 3-5 healthy canes per shrub. This will keep the centers of the plants open, allowing for good air circulation and keeping the plants healthy.