The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Rooted Fig Branch

Question: One of the branches of my fig tree is lying on the ground and seems to have rooted. Can I dig under the rooted branch, cut the branch from the tree and successfully transplant the branch to a large pot? Also where should I make the cut from the tree to ensure the greatest success?

Answer: What you're describing is basically the "layering" method of propagation, in which stems of the mother plant are covered with some soil, left attached, and when roots form, cut off as a separate plant. (It's usually done with soft stemmed perennials, which are more easily manipulated.) If the new plant's roots are vigorous, you shouldn't need much of the "old" branch. However, after you cut the new plant off, be sure to cut the old branch off at the trunk with a proper pruning cut, so the tree can harden off the cut on its own. Don't leave a chunk of branch with an open wound, which invites disease and pest problems. Good luck with your new fig tree!