The Q&A Archives: Companion Planting (Pumpkin

Question: I have heard about planting pumpkins between rows of corn. I have two questions regarding this: 1) Does it work? You'd think the pumpkins would overgrow the corn plants. 2) What other plants can you alternate like that? I have a very small garden,(about 10'x30'), and like to plant a lot of veggies. I have green beans, peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, pumpkins, and sunflowers. Any tips? Rob Catlin Woodbury, MinneSNOWta

Answer: Pumpkins probably would do best planted around the edge of the corn patch, instead of right in it. I'd start the corn a little earlier to get a head start and then seed the pumpkins around the perimeter. It really does work and looks great come fall! Other combinations that are effective are lettuce planted under pole beans, lettuce betwwen broccoli plants and basil around tomatoes. There are books on companion planting in local libraries that may give you even more ideas.