The Q&A Archives: Bush Sweet Peas

Question: I am looking for "bush" sweet peas and any information that will help me grow them. Until this summer I was unaware of how wonderful they smelled...but I have always hated the look of all the dead growth at the bottom the stalks. While visiting my aunt in Idaho this summer, she showed me a bush variety...but I can't seem to find them in the gardening stores or catalogs. Can you help me?

Answer: Seeds for Dwarf Sweet Peas (Lathyrus)are widely available. Here are just a few sources: Johnny's Selected Seeds, 1 Foss Hill Rd., Albion, Maine 04910-9731 (Knee-High Mix), Thompson & Morgan, Inc., PO Box 1308, Jackson, NJ 08527-0308 (Dwarf Mix), and Shepherd's Garden Seeds, 30 Irene St., Torrington, CT 06790.

Lathyrus grows best in full sun, in rich, loose, well-draining soil. They prefer the cool temperatures of spring and autumn and flower best during those times. Sow seed outdoors in early spring (March in your area), planting 1/2" deep in prepared soil.