The Q&A Archives: Building Berms

Question: I would like to build 2 berms. How do I go about it? I have a lot of rocks that I would like to use as accent pieces, and we will be bringing in the dirt to build up the poor quality of our soil. Also, I would like to grow Gerber daisies. Our growing season is short, and I'm considering starting them inside. Will I have any success? Thanks so much. Kathy Matli Flagstaff AZ

Answer: It is important to use fresh seed. Start 12 weeks before planting out. Sow seed on the surface of the media (use a soilless media) and press into the media. Water from the bottom and let drain. Cover the flat/pot with a plastic bag. Keep at 70-75 degrees F. and provide light Fluorescent lights work well or bright indirect light. Strong sunlight will cook the young seedlings. Germination will take place in 15-30 days. Be patient. When you see germination, remove the plastic bag. Transplant in latespring when the soil is quite warm. Space the plants 12-18" apart in either full sun or part shade where summers are very hot. They prefer a rich, moist, fertile, and slightly acid soil. Water regularly, particularly during hot weather. Fertilize lightly every 6 weeks during the growing season and keep flowers deadheaded. You can use all kinds of materials to create a mound for a berm, including rocks, subsoil and fill. However, you should have at least 1 foot deep layer of topsoil and even a deeper layer if you are planting shrubs or trees on the berm. For grasses and flowers, that layer of topsoil should be fine.