The Q&A Archives: Starting Lily Seeds

Question: How do I start my lilium seeds? I put mine in between tissue paper and kept them wet for 5 days. Nothing yet! Help!

Answer: Successful germination of seeds of some lilies requires a period of warmth followed by one of cold. Method 1 is to put the seeds in a screw top jar in moist (not wet) peat and keep at 70F-75F for 3-4 months. Inspect regularly. Any seedling with a root and one set of leaves should be removed and potted up. Any seeds producing roots but not leaves should be sown in trays and kept at 40F for 3 months. Seed leaves and normal growth will follow.

Method 2: Sow in a tray in summer and place outdoors. Cover the tray with plexiglass over the winter. Seeds will germinate the following spring.

Good luck with your new plants!