The Q&A Archives: Interesting Tomato Variety

Question: My son in-law brought home a tomato several years ago that looked much like a very large chili pepper. It was about 6 or 7 inches long and about 2 to 3 inches in diameter.He said the variety came from Australia. I have been replanting seeds from them for about 7or 8 years now. They are excellent for salad or for canning. They also ripen
well off the vine. The vines can get 5 or 6 foot tall. and are indeterminant. The fruit ripen about midseason. Have you ever heard of or seen a variety that would match this description?

Answer: I found several tomato varieties described as banana pepper-like in shape: 'Howard German,' ' Polish Giant Paste,' 'Sausage,' 'Super Italian Paste,' and 'Spitz.' I found all these varieties in the Tomato Growers Supply catalog (1-888-478-7333 or customer service at 941-768-1119) You might ask them if they know the origins of the varieties.

Hope this helps.

(By the way, if you think you have a special tomato, you might contact Burpee directly to see if they would be interested in your variety--which has surely changed at least slightly now that you've been saving and growing your own seed for several years. Contact the customer service dept. (e-mail: and ask to contact their horticulturists about this.)