The Q&A Archives: Pear Insect Damage

Question: We have a heavy producing pear (Comice,I think) which exhibits evidence (again, I think) of coddling moths: no apparent worm holes or other surface signs of damage, "rot" inside the fruit at the blossom end of the core - with a cavity. But I have also seen another brown cavity with a brown, leathery covering (no apparent damage on surface). The second cavity doesn't seem to be connected to the cavity at the core.

Is the 'core rot' coddling moths? What could the other cavity be?

Answer: The symptoms you describe are not necessarily from insects such as codling moth, but could be an infection called Black Rot. The corky flesh you describe might be a result of boron deficiency. For a positive identification of the problems, it would be best to take a sample of the fruit (plus any foliar problems) to your local Extension office.
Contact University of California, 2604 Ventura Ave. Rm. 100, Santa Rosa, 95403. Phone (707) 527-2621.