The Q&A Archives: Planting American Favorites in Germany

Question: I am an American who has recently moved to Germany and am interested in growing some of my favorite veggies, herbs and flowers. What would be a similar planting zone in Germany ? What are the rules for buying seeds from the States and planting them in Germany ? Bonnie Fagnan Mainz-Kastel, Germany

Answer: Depending on where you're living in Germany, it is roughly equivalent in USDA zone 5, meaning similar to Chicago in the U.S. I believe you can transport seed to Germany from the U.S., just check the German Embassey for their rules. Once there I know there are many German seed companies to buy from as well as sharing seeds with your neighbors, so experiment and don't get too attached to your American favorites. You may find real beauties in your foreign home.