The Q&A Archives: Dividing & Planting Sago Palms

Question: I have a sago that has several small plants comming from the bottom and they all seem to be atached to the main plant. How do I remove them for planting, and when.

Answer: Mature Sago palms, or Cycas, produce offsets that can be detached from the parent and planted to become new palms. Offsets are complete with their own root systems and should break easily away from the parent. Gently grab it at the base where it attaches to the parent and pull down and out. Then pot it up in a container filled with moistened potting soil. Keep the soil moist but not soggy, and keep the new plants out of direct sunlight for a week or two. Offsets with roots will begin to grow right away. Immature offsets should develop roots within a few weeks and then begin to grow. You can pot these offsets now or wait until spring.