The Q&A Archives: Dwarf Alberta Spruce Growth Rate

Question: I have just planted 2 dwarf albert spruce's (picea glauca conica)the tag say's there are slow growing how slow do they grow? the average heigh is 4-6ft. but they can grow to 10ft.i will let them get 10ft.i want a tall evergreen tree so i can put light's on it at long will it take to get 3ft.and then 6ft.and finally 10ft.i like fast growing bushes but i like the alberta spruce's too much
1 bush is 21 inches and the other is 17 inches but they are fat bushes nice cute size now but how long will they take to grow to those 3 height's i asked.

thank you

Answer: According to Michael Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", Picea glauca "Conica" grows about 2 to 4 inches a year and will grow to about 10 or 12 feet in about 25 to 30 years. I guess they weren't kidding when they said slow on the tag.