The Q&A Archives: Brown Edges on Hosta Leaves

Question: My Hosta's seemed to be doing well, then the edges of all the leaves started turning brown. They look sort of burned, but they are all planted under a 15 year old Texas Ash tree, so they don't. get that much sun. I have some verigated Hostas and some regular ones. The verigated ones seem to being doing the worst. Do you know what could be causing this?

Answer: Probably the most common reason for browning like you described is moisture stress. If the plants are allowed to get very dry they may suffer tissue damage and it begins along the edges. Some varieties of hosta are more susceptible to water stress than others; you might also find that some of yours are planted in drier spots due to either density of the tree canopy blocking rain, variations in the shade pattern, or the root system competing for more of the available moisture.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Pacific Blue Ice"