The Q&A Archives: Tips for Growing Peony (in Containers)

Question: Is it true peonies love colder weather and normal to acidic soil. Is it possible to grow peony in plant pot? I have a pot (diameter 12" height 12"), I am planning to use it to grow a peony. If I leave it outdoor during winter, will it grows again after frozen like a ice cube? What type of soil is acidic? What things I could use to change alkali soil to acidic soil? Jackie Lam Lancaster, MA

Answer: Peonies do grow best in cool weather, that's why they look so beautiful in the Northeast! They don't need acidic soil. A soil with the pH between 6 and 7 will do. You can grow them in pots, but they'll have to be protected through the winter either by heavy mulching outdoors or moving them to an unheated garage. It would be best to grow them in the soil where, if happy, will bloom for many years!