The Q&A Archives: Dividing Cymbidium

Question: Hello, I have several pots of cymbinimus. They are 5-6 years old. It's time to re-plant them. Some of the bulbs are dry and dead. I am not sure of how or when to cut off the dead parts, and how to re-plant them. I know they need to be packed in bark, and fed regulary. Please help.

Answer: Cymbidiums are terrestrial orchids, and are very popular houseplants. Most plants should be repotted when the bulbs fill the pot. Transplant after carefully pulling away the dead parts and cutting into divisions that contain 3 healthy bulbs with foliage attached. These divisions should be planted in prepackaged cymbidium mix, or you can make your own potting soil by mixing together 2 parts redwood bark or sawdust, 2 parts peat moss, and 1 part sand. This recipe will provide a fast-draining yet moisture retentive soil for your plant. Cymbidiums should be fed every 10 days during the growing season with a complete liquid fertilizer that's high in nitrogen.