The Q&A Archives: Replacing Ground Ivy with Grass

Question: How can I kill ground ivy and still be able to plant grass and flowers soon after killing it? We recently bought a house and ground ivy has literally taken over half the yard. I believe it started in about a 2 x 5 foot space and has grown into half of a double lot. Please help. Kim Otte Stevensville, MI

Answer: For that much ground ivy, I'm afraid you muight have to start all over again. You can try to kill the ivy with herbicides, but it sounds like there isn't much grass left to fill on. Anyway, to redo your lawn, spray the entire lawn with roundup to kill the ivy and other weeds, wait a few weeks, till it under, removing any ivy roots you notice, add compost and fertilizer based on a soil test and reseed. Watch for any stray ivy cuttings rooting while the new lawn gets established. Mow the new lawn at3" high to block out any weed seeds and keep it well fed and watered. If you don't want to start over, you'll probably be applying the "Weed N Feed" types chemicals to your lawn to get the ivy.