The Q&A Archives: Exacum

Question: I bought a houseplant from K-mart a few weeks ago and the name on the pot was "EXACUM".....I never heard of it and can't seem to find it any where....has small pinkish flowers on it about 1/2" diameter,bushy,reminds me a bit like a periwinkle or an impatien. Flower is kind of star shaped and has lots of little buds on the plant. Bud is somewhat balloon shaped. I think it was a gift type plant because it was in colored foil (the pot). There were no others and there was no ID tag in the pot. Seems to be doing well but I'd love some kind of information on it. Can you help me?

Answer: You probably have an Exacum affine which is a very nice flowering plant from the tropics. It does well as a houseplant and prefers warm temperatures along with moderate light and moderate watering. Unfortunately, it is basically an annual and blooms for a season or so and then exhausts itself.