The Q&A Archives: Oleander

Question: I planted an Oleander earlier this year and it seemed to be doing well, it bloomed. However the blooms have all died and it doesn't appear to be going to bloom again. I noticed that the older mature Oleanders along the highways are still in bloom.

Why is my Oleander not continuing to bloom ?

Answer: Oleanders bloom reliably from May through October, as you've witnessed. Your plant produced blooms from buds it developed before it was planted in your yard. Since the act of transplanting can stress a shrub, it most likely stopped developing additional blossom buds in favor of adjusting to its new home. I expect that it will continue to adjust until next spring. Once it is firmly established, it will have the strength to produce blossoms all summer long. Give your oleander a little more time and it will reward you with attractive growth and new flowers.