The Q&A Archives: Hibiscus Pruning

Question: Recently I received a hibiscus from a friend who was moving . Since it is approximately 5 feet tall and is currently in bloom, I wondered how much and when it should be pruned? It appears to be in good health and was kept outside for the summer months. Unfortunately, I do not know what particular kind of hibiscus it is, though the blooms are a deep coral color.

Answer: Some gardeners will prune their tropcal hibiscus year round, removing the occasional wayward shoot or thinning it as needed to maintain a pleasing shape. Others will cut it back quite hard once a year in the spring which can delay overall blooming but does help keep the plant a bit smaller. Most of these plants are actually rather large and ungainly shrubs, so it may be a good idea not to let it get too far out of bounds.