The Q&A Archives: Bulbs For Southern Kansas

Question: Can you recommend some appropriate bulbs for fall planting in Southern Kansas (Wichita area)? I think it's zone 6. I'm interested in early, mid and late season blooming bulbs.

Answer: There are so many bulb choices! For spring, consider tulips, daffodils, crocus, glory of the snow, frittalaria, squill, and hyacinth. These days you can find iris, daylilies, oriental and asiatic lilies with a wide variety of bloom times (and colors!) to keep your garden alive with flowers all summer. Gladiolus are another easy summer bloomer. For late summer and fall, there's dahlias, oxalis, crocosmia, tuberous begonia, lycoris, and autumn crocus (all but the last two bloom all summer long!).

However, most summer and late-season blooming bulbs are planted in the spring. I highly recommend: "Bulbs: Four Seasons of Beautiful Blooms", by Lewis & Nancy Hill (Storey Communications, Pownal VT 05261; ISBN # 0-88266-877-3). It has a table showing bloom times of all common (and some uncommon) bulbs, as well as design ideas and in-depth cultural information. Good luck with your bulbs!