The Q&A Archives: Container Annuals For Hot, Dry, Sunny Location

Question: I have several half-barrels around our in-ground pool that I plant with annuals each Spring. The containers are in full sun the entire day and our Summers have been very dry and hot. Consequently, many of my plants have done poorly even though I try to choose full sun annuals. I love to have lots of color around my pool, but the last two years have been a bust...any suggestions?

Answer: The last two years have been unusually dry ones and that is always very stressful to container plants. You might try using one of the water holding polymers mixed into the potting soil and see if that helps. Some colorful plants I have found to work well in "hot" location planters are the vincas and specialty verbenas as well as the "Profusion" zinnias and just about any type of annual salvia. These are available through Burpee (1-800-888-1447 or