The Q&A Archives: Jasmine Winter Protection

Question: Please advise methods of protecting star jasmine plants from winter temperatures in zone 6. I have three grown from small shoots I obtained this spring. The plants are now roughly four feet high and have well developed root systems. I hesitate to transfer them to large containers and bring them into the house owing to lack of space.

Answer: Unfortunately, Star Jasmine (Jasminum nitidum) is not a winter hardy plant, so apart from building a heated greenhouse over top of them I can't think of a way to protect them for the winter outdoors. To conserve space you can try digging them up and cutting them back and bringing them in to a cool area where they will not grow much at all. You could also take tip cuttings as insurance in case they don't appreciate the disruption and/or simply overwinter the small cuttings.