The Q&A Archives: Trellis for Sweet Peas

Question: Hi! I want to make the center point of my garden a pretty trellis covered with sweet peas. I can't seem to find anything that looks nice for a focal point that sweet peas can climb. Any suggestions and where I can order something?

Answer: Sweet peas will climb nearly anything with an open framework.You can even make a teepee of several poles lashed together and then add a bit of chicken wire around the base to get them started upward. Tall narrow trellis towers intended for roses will work, as will "obelisk" shaped trellis or a flat decorative panel such as that on p. 116 of the 1999 Burpee catalog. ( or 800-888-1447). A quick internet search for "trellis" will yield numerous additional sources for mailorder.

There is one caveat about using sweet peas in the center of a garden, however. You may find that they turn brown and shrivel away as soon as the weather turns hot during the summer.