The Q&A Archives: Hermodactylus Tuberosus

Question: Can I grow hermodactylus tuberosus in a container? I have a south-facing terrace and have had pretty good luck with most of my container plants, but was told you can't grow tubers in a pot.

Answer: To be honest I think I would consider it an experiment since these are native to dry and rocky places. You might be able to overwinter them on a gravelly mix if your location is sheltered enough. Iris as a group can be difficult in pots as they tend to rot both above and below the soil surface.

To say that tubers don't grow in pots is an awfully broad statement, and there are many tuberous plants which in fact do well in pots. Dahlias would be one easy example, as would the ornamental sweet potatoes.

Your iris, however, is a special plant in a class all its own -- you might find this discussion of iris classifications interesting.

Good luck with your plant!