The Q&A Archives: Tree Cavity

Question: Tree has large cavity from old fallen limb. Do I clean out the hole, with what?...and do I then fill the hole with something?

Answer: When a large limb falls and causes severe damage to a tree there are two causes for concern. One is certainly damage to the remaining tree, but the other is to discover the root cause for the branch to have been weakened in the first place. An ailing (and hence possibly dangerous) tree may show little outward sign of severe internal problems to the eye. New methods of tree care have been developed in the recent decade or so and I would strongly recommend that you consult with an up to date, professionally trained arborist about your tree, both for methods of helping it overcome and heal the injury and also determining its overall health and condition.