The Q&A Archives: Growing Grapes?

Question: I wanted to plant a couple of grape plants. What kinds of grapes can I grow in Northeast Ohio and when can I plant them? Do they grow well against a fence and how much space do they need?

Answer: There are many grape cultivars suitable for your zone 5 garden, so the choice remains yours. Blue-black grapes such as Blue Lake, Buffalo, and Captivator will do well in your area. Red grape varieties include Catawba and Delaware. Green or white grape choices include Himrod, Interlaken, Lakemont and Niagara.

Grapes grow best when supported on a trellis or open fence where good air circulation will promote lush, healthy growth. Plant 8'-10' apart to give each plenty of room to grow without competition.

Proper pruning is a must for good fruit production. You'll find diagrams for training and pruning grapes in the book Taylor's Guide to Fruits and Berries, ISBN # 0-395-71086-3.

Enjoy your edible landscape!