The Q&A Archives: Brown Leaves On Mass Cane And Wondering Jew

Question: I have a Mass Cane and a Wondering Jew who have both developed a lot of brown on their leaves lately. Neither plant is exposed to any direct sunlight where they are positioned in the house and I water them once a week. What could be causing this problem? Until these plants I have had a "black thumb" so to speak and was proud of how these plants were doing under my care.

Answer: Brown tips on leaves can indicate dry air, too little light, too much fertilizer or too much heat. If the lower leaves are drying up and falling off, it indicates too much heat or underwatering. To help your plants regain their health, try misting the leaves each morning, and keep them out of drafts and away from heat vents.

You can pinch back the stems to remove the browning leaves and promote new growth.

Good luck with your plants!