The Q&A Archives: Wintering Cannas

Question: A friend has dug up some canna tubers for my garden. Would it be better to go ahead and plant them to grow roots throughout the winter, or would it be better to store them and plant them in the spring? If I need to store them, how do I dry & store them?

Answer: Cannas are native to the tropics and sub-tropics so they should be lifted and stored for the winter months, then replanted in the spring. The usual course of events is to cut back the flowering stalk when the flowers fade, then cut back the foliage after it yellows and withers naturally. Since your cannas have already been dug, brush off excess soil and store them in dry peatmoss or sawdust, in a cool area that remains above freezing. Plant in the spring in rich, loose soil, setting the rootstocks 5" deep and 10" apart.