The Q&A Archives: Planting Asparagus Crowns

Question: How can I store asparagus for 2-3 weeks? The entaglement of roots I received you cannot make heads or tails of, therefore I have no idea how to plant. Which end up or down or lay flat? They were shipped by Burpee and according to brief instructions keep the moss moist and the package of roots contained no moss. Vicky Lowrey Norfolk, VA

Answer: The crowns, that entanglement you received, can be stored in the refrigerator until the frost is out of the ground. Wrap them in dampened paper towels to keek moist or place them in a cool, damp, dark basement. When you are ready to plant you should be able to separate each crown, which will look like a mass of roots with some knobs on their top. Plant each crown with the knob side up after soaking them in warm water for a few hours. Place them on mounds in a trench about 18" apart covering them with a 2" layer of enriched soil. You will be adding soil as he asparagus grow until the trench is filled. Add 6" of mulch and keep them well weeded the first year.