The Q&A Archives: Yellow Leaves on Tomato Plants

Question: I have just recently planted tomatoe plants which were purchased at a local nursery. All of the lower leaves have turned yellow. Could this be from too much watering? What are the other possibilities? They have only been in the ground a week or so. Should I pull them out and start from scratch?

Answer: There are many causes of yellowing leaves in tomatoes. Fortunately, the causes of lower leaves yellowing and dropping are rarely anything to worry about. It's almost always a case of the stress in adapting to a new environment (from a greenhouse to your garden). Keep the young plants well watered and begin a regular feeding program in about two weeks when the transplants have begun to develop new roots in your soil.